In most homes, there is little or no reason to change the kitchen sink drain, but there may be a need to change the old sink to a new one.
With the way of development, there is some improvement added to the new sink products as this might encourage the need for you to have a change to your very own sink drain.
The material needed for the installation of a sink drain are as follows: kitchen drain trap kit, tape measure, PVC tubing cutter or hacksaw, plumber’s putty, channel-type pliers.
Before you begin with the installation of the kitchen sink drain, it is important that you shut off the water inlet into the drain to allow for the easy working on the drain.
Sometimes, to change the drain of the sink, there may be issues affecting the pepper drainage of dirt and used materials out of the drainage hole or due to the stocking up of the sink pipe with dirt that serves as blockage and does not allow for the proper flow of used up water through the sink.
The following are the steps you should take when you want to replace the drain of your sink. You must make sure that everything necessary for the change is already in place and you must be ready to do the right thing following the guideline.
If there is something you are missing before you start the work, you should put it in place to avoid unnecessary delay during the process of getting the job done.
The steps involved in the installation of the kitchen sink drain are as follows:
- Prepare the place you want to work one: This can be done by putting off the water coming into the sink. You should also clean out the area under the sink bowl for smooth working.
- Apply thin beading of the plumber’s putty around the area if the hole in the sink.
- The circumference of the shaft in the sink bowl should be well covered with the plumber’s putty to allow for proper alignment.
- You should disassemble the drain insert and insert about half of the drain insert into the hole if the sink bowl. This will allow for the proper drainage.
- You should firmly press it down and allow for the compression of the plumber’s putty.
- You should apply the rubber gasket, cardboard ring and metal fastener to the lower part of the sink drain and tighten it. You should remove the excess putty that is around the inner part of the sink drain.
- You should install the drainage pipe, and install the ABS to the kitchen drain attachments at the ends of the ABS drainage pipe ahem needed.
- You should install the drainage pipe of the sink and make sure that the ABS glue is well attached to the surface of the sink.
- You should prepare a brass drain attachment: thus can be done by inserting the pipe to allow for the proper drainage into the fastener used as adhesive and the plastic gasket in the opening.
- You should loosen the fastener placed on the ABS sink drain and insert the brass pipe into it. You should finish up the gluing of the ABS drain pipe.
- Tighten the ABS sink attachment and you are good to go with the usage of the sink drain.